Friday, June 20, 2014

Day One Fun!

My first day on the Freedom Tour was a fantastic experience. When we first started talking about the trip in school, I desperately did not want to go because of many reasons. My most important reason though was because I didn’t want to leave home, now that I am on this trip though, I have completely forgotten about home. I am here to have a great, fun, learning experience with my friends. Our first stop was in Harlem, where we walked to the Apollo Theater. The Apollo Theater was absolutely gorgeous, the chandeliers and the architecture and the colors, all I could do was stand there in awe of what I was witnessing. This place had hosted some of the best performers the world had ever seen, my personal favorite was the mighty Michael Jackson. We actually got to perform on the stage, of course I preformed, I rapped and sang a song by Eminem called Mockingbird.. After, we drove on through New York and through Central Park. May I say that Central Park is beautiful, especially the John Lennon memorial, there was actually a guy there singing John Lennon songs it was just a fantastic scene. Then, we went to my favorite place…..  Katz’s Deli, the food was fantastic, my boyfriend and I shared a pastrami sandwich and it was the best sandwich I had ever eaten. When we were all done eating that’s when the fun started… we got to drive through Times Square at night, it was so beautiful. Nothing could have topped being able to see all of that culture and life the first day, and I know it is only going to get better! I have really enjoyed today and was glad that I decided to go. Thanks for reading! J

Marissa




Today we went to Apollo Theatre and Katz’s Deli. I had so much fun with my friends. Olivia and I shared the best roast beef sandwich at Katz’s. The day started off a little rough, because I was tired and a little irritable, but once we got rolling, it was really fun, except for the 40-45 minutes we spent sitting around waiting because of a blown tire. I really loved the Apollo Theatre because it was really cool to be able to sing and touch the Tree of Hope like so many other great performers have. Although the bus rides were a little boring sometimes, they were also cool because I had great friends to talk to and take funny selfies with. The best thing today was being able to see New York at night, from inside the bus. It was really incredible, how big the buildings were, and how bright they looked from the ground. This trip is getting off to a great start, and I can’t wait for tomorrow! 


--Nina



Today was a great beginning to our trip…with a little bit of a rocky start!  The back tire of the bus went flat and made us late for the Apollo Theater.  When we finally got the theater, it was worth the wait! We saw a wall full of signatures of people who performed there, learned the history of the theater and got to see some great but weird performances by adults and students.  Then we ended the day at Katz’s Deli, where there was so much good food. It was a great ending to our first day.


Zenaide



No comments:

Post a Comment